Tuesday 17 May 2011

A tribute

Painting by Gerald Coulson. On the night of 16th/17th May 1943 19 Lancaster bombers left their base at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire on a night that was to earn them the title "The Dambusters". They set out under the leadership of WC Guy Gibson "Operation Chastise" was under way. Their mission was to attack the Rhur Valley and the Mohne, Eder and Sorpe dams using the "bouncing bomb" which had been invented by Barnes Wallis. The Lancasters left Scampton in three waves and flew low to avoid enemy detection. The attacks on the Mohne and Eder dams were successful. Of the 19 Lancasters which left Scampton, 9 returned. As a child, I remember well my Dad's obsession with the Dambusters. Our house was full of paintings of Lancasters and books about the Dambusters. One of his most treasured posessions was a copy of the Dambusters book by Paul Brickhill. It's an unassuming looking book. It's lost it's dustcover and is looking a bit tired. However, what is inside it was very precious to him and is now very precious to me. It is signed by many people who were involved with the Dams Raid. Sir Barnes Wallis and Sir Harold Brownlow (Mickey) Martin to name but two. And it is signed by other members of the Dams Raid who were later to become friends of my Dad's. Bill Townsend, Geoff Rice and Nicky Ross (who was later to come to my Dad's funeral). It's also signed by Richard Todd who played Guy Gibson in the film. A film which I love and the theme tune of which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. This is my tribute to the men of 617 Squadron and to my Dad. I made this card yesterday using the Plane & Simple set from Stampin' Up! I know it's not a Lancaster Bomber but I haven't found a stamp of one of them! I never got to make a Father's Day card for my Dad (or birthday card, more of which next week) as he died long before I took up cardmaking.
If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and looking. Susan xxx

1 comment:

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

This is fab love it

ali x

Sweet Stampin' Challenge

Hello.   Time for a new challenge  Sweet Stampin ' and this time the theme is Earth Day or Use Something Recycled. The hangers were made...